The purpose of this document is to give Rising Voices Wessex's policy on fundraising and set out guidelines for members who fundraise on our behalf. The document also refers you to the A to Z of fundraising ideas and the Do’s and Don’ts of fundraising documents which are available to members. The Board of Rising Voices Wessex is committed to ensuring that fundraising activities for the charity are carried out in an ethical manner. This policy applies to the Trustees Board, casual and permanent staff, members and volunteers. The policy requires Trustees, staff and volunteers to act honestly and with integrity and to fund raise and use the resources for which they are responsible, appropriately at all times.
The purpose of this document is to identify Rising Voices Wessex’s position on fundraising and to document the standards expected in raising funds for/ from the community. Fundraising can be defined as the process of gathering voluntary contributions of money or other resources, by requesting donations from individuals, businesses, charitable foundations, or governmental agencies for non-profit organisations.
2. Our aims
2.1 Rising Voices Wessex has been established to promote the good health and wellbeing of people living with or affected by cancer for the public benefit in particular but not exclusively by:
• providing and promoting music participation through singing as a means of regaining confidence, health and wellbeing to complement rehabilitation during and following treatment for cancer;
• providing support to families and carers of people living with or affected by cancer; improving public awareness regarding the problems and circumstances of people living with and beyond cancer as well as their families and carers through information and education;
• seeking to "normalise" post-cancer living by making available support through singing in the community;
• fostering mutual help, co-operation and friendship in an understanding and empathetic environment for those affected by cancer;
• making appropriate representations to relevant statutory bodies and other organisations on behalf of people affected by cancer;
• promoting, conducting, and engaging in research/evaluation as to the benefits of music and singing to those affected by cancer – and publishing the results of research/evaluations appropriately;
• promoting a strategy that supports the development of other choirs within the Wessex Region and forges appropriate musical and cultural links with other likeminded choirs.
3. Fund Raising Policy:
Rising Voices Wessex’s guiding fundraising principle is a simple one – we will only use techniques that we would be happy to be used on ourselves.
In doing so, the organisation will adhere to the following standards:
• Fundraising activities carried out by Rising Voices Wessex will comply with all relevant laws.
• Any communications to the public made in the course of carrying out a fundraising activity shall be truthful and non-deceptive.
• All monies raised via fundraising activities will be for the stated purpose of the appeal and will comply with the organisation’s stated mission and purpose.
• All personal information collected by Rising Voices Wessex is confidential and is not for sale or to be given away or disclosed to any third party without consent.
• Nobody directly or indirectly employed by or volunteering for Rising Voices Wessex shall accept commissions, bonuses or payments for fundraising activities on behalf of the organisation.
• No general solicitations shall be undertaken by telephone or door-to-door. • Fundraising activities should not be undertaken if they may be detrimental to the good name or community standing of Rising Voices Wessex.
• Whilst we support some events for other cancer charities, Rising Voices Wessex cannot endorse or promote other charities for fundraising and collections.
• Financial contributions will only be accepted from companies, organisations and individuals the Board considers ethical. Companies and organisations specifically excluded from making financial contributions to Rising Voices Wessex include tobacco companies.
The Board is responsible for the implementation and review of this policy.
All Board members, casual, permanent and contract staff, members and volunteers are responsible for adhering to this policy.
The Trustees Board will oversee the major fundraising tasks including grants. The Steering Group will supervise the smaller fundraising projects undertaken by the Steering Group and members of the choirs. They will report regularly to the Trustees board. All fundraising activities must have the prior approval of the Steering Group and Trustees Board and be recorded in the meeting minutes. A statement estimating income and expenses will be prepared prior to the commencement of any new major fundraising activity that may present a financial risk to Rising Voices Wessex. Fundraising activities should not be undertaken if they will expose the organisation to significant financial risk.
6. Related Documents attached:
• Fundraising for members in 2018
• Do’s and Don’ts for fundraising.